Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Tiny little circles...

Well, I've been working on something now for a while during my commutes and it seems to be taking hold. I always wondered how the roadies and cross folks could generate so much power and maintain it for so long. It's that "cadence with power" thing I've been alluding to. I kinda had an inkling of what was up, but I've really begun to feel it.

You see most of us "riders" only use half our power. We are what some people call "mashers". Now I always thought a masher was someone who got out of the saddle and hammered away on the cranks. Kinda like the Single Speed folks. And I though "spinners" were people who sat on the seat and just spun, spun, spun. And maybe that is a proper definition.

But I think another definition of a masher might be someone who only presses down on their pedals. Never pulls up. Whereas a spinner is someone who rotates their foot through out the crank rotation. I think anyone who rides a bike appreciates that power is developed by not only pushing down with one foot, but pulling up with the other. Basically doubling your power output.

Now before you go "Well no dah Doug", hear me out on this. I always knew that was the case, but how much do you really work at it. If you're like me, you might catch youself at times thinking you need to be doing it, but after about 5-10 minutes, you pretty much forget about it. Yeah, maybe you're 50-60% efficient at doing it, but do you always do it?

What I'm getting at is learning to spin tiny circles or as the roadies would say "float the pedals" takes muscle memory training. It's one thing to say to yourself you need to do it, but it's another to have your legs do it sub-conciously. Like I said, it takes training!!!

I've been really focusing on my commutes to make sure that I am pulling and pushing, pushing and pulling all the time. Turning tiny circles, and yanno, after a while I have begun to feel some action in muscles I obviously don't use much, considering they get sore. It's mostly in the back of the Quads during the pull up and extends into the Glutes. It's a different kind of muscle sensation than I'm use to and it's obvious to me as I ride that I don't use them as effectively as I should.

As I've continued to work with this, I've felt my cadence change a bit. It's obviously become more powerful but it's also become more of an ingrained stroke. I'm going to continue to work with this and I'll let ya know how it evolves, but I really do believe that you can become a lazy rider if you don't focus on your pedaling form or stroke. Road riding gives you the opportunity to do that, and when you take it to the dirt, that's when the magic happens.

Good luck out there...

1 comment:

ojulius said...

Sit n' spin...that's what I call it. ;)